Tuesday, February 23, 2016

What Does "Crazy" Look Like?

For YEARS, I was accused of being "crazy"....and I finally was...

In a support group the other day, we were discussing the, VERY REAL, possibility of being diagnosed with a mental disorder based upon what you can become after long term psychological abuse. One person shared that they had been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder after many years in this Hell, but has made a SURPRISING 100% recovery since the abuser has been gone.


This got me thinking about what a PSYCHIATRIST would have thought about me if they had seen me for the last two years of the abuse and the first year after the discard.


NOT a pretty picture...


I had lost 20 lbs, my skin was grey. I often did not shower every day. I was a shell and all I did was what I HAD to do to survive and care for my children. I was tense every moment of every day...I was fearful. I jumped at every noise and I was ALWAYS waiting for the NEXT foot to fall on my neck. 


I was angry and often felt rage when I sensed that something would upset the abuser. I DEMANDED that everyone else in the house walk on eggshells to avoid escalating the abuse of them...and of ME. This was done by isolating all of us...few in...few out...because

the long LIST of things that MIGHT upset the abuser was never ending. 

If ALL his props were in their proper place and there was no one brought into the house....we might be safe for a bit. Seldom worked...but not for lack of trying. No friends for the kids, family slowly started to stay away.


I conspired CONSTANTLY with my children to hide any issues that might come up. 


OMG! YOU threw a ball and broke a decorative plate! 


(I didn't give a damn about the plate but HE DID)


I found the same words coming out of my mouth over and over...more and more frequently.



"If HE finds out about this I am not going to be able to protect you!"

No. There was not much actual physical abuse...and NONE against me at all.


THAT is NOT what I was trying to protect them from. If you UNDERSTAND this, you are in the right place. 


My CHILDREN understood EXACTLY what I meant.


We ALL became props in "HIS WORLD". We functioned in a relatively normal way (even given my shell of an existence) UNTIL we heard the truck pull into the driveway.


EVERYONE would stop, say "He's back" and scatter for cover...hiding away in silence and hoping to be un-noticed. We BECAME his props and the whole household lived to keep HIM FROM GETTING ANGRY.


After the discard, it became even worse for a time. With his threats to take the children... prove me unfit, to ...


"RUIN ME if I did not do what he told me to do and keep my mouth shut"

"Take everything you HAVE including the kids"
"Make you pay me so much alimony and child support that you will be living in a car"
"Have you supporting me AND the kids" (as well as his mistress with whom he was living)

His Golden Circle of friends closed around him believing EVERY WORD he said. He told his CHURCH that I had hired a hit man to try to murder him. He told our children that I was insane and dangerous. He had his PASTOR (whom I had met only twice for a total of 10 minutes) agreeing to TESTIFY IN COURT that I was unfit.


He carried a loaded gun and made audios of himself saying he was being threatened by my adult son. I TRULY expected to come home from work, one day, and find that my son had been "shot in self-defense". (The court allowed him free access to our home for over three months as they decided "He was not a real danger"....I would wake up and find him standing there just "smirking" at me...standing over me in my sleep. 


Our minor children (14 year old sons) were terrified to let me sleep alone. We all slept together on a fold out couch so they could "protect me". 


During that time, there were probably at least 3 times when I KNEW I WAS NOT STABLE. I have a history of depression and I KNEW that I was in crisis...that I TRULY NEEDED to be admitted to a hospital....but the FEAR STOPPED ME. 


I KNEW he would use that against me to try to take my sons.


You see...he HAD driven me "crazy" and a psychiatrist...seeing nothing happening inside our home....who spoke to the charming, meek abuser...would have diagnosed ME with some type of paranoia and who knows what else.


I share this because I KNOW I am not the only one who has gone through this. If it sounds familiar...please know....


You are not CRAZY!


The CRAZY rubbed off for a little while...it is part of their plan...but it DOES fade away once they are out of your life.

6 comments:

  1. i know the Bible tells us to depart from the wicked. Wicked people drain, and make their victims useless. As for your ex and his churchified friends, II Peter 3 and the Book of Jude (only one chapter) both detail how wicked people creep into churches and hoodwink the saints. Was a problem back then and still is today. Truely sickening how people can be so "holy" at church and slalkingly vile at home. So glad you are free of that piece of drek! Take care and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know that there are wolves in sheep's clothing among a flock...and not all the flock are led astray. It is sad so many HAVE been in this situation. By hoodwinking the Pastor and licking his boots and by securing, as a victim, a well respected "woman of God"...he has been able to make inroads to destroying them. His vic is a member of the Church and STILL professes devout Christianity despite that fact she had an affair with a married man while married herself, divorced her husband and then moved a married man into her bed in front of my children. It is amazing the delusion needed to "mesh" the reality of what she has done with her professions of superior morality. We all do wrong things..and we all pay the price. I have no doubt her debt is coming due.

      Delete
  2. I so understand. Though mine is so involved with his mistress that he never came back, thank God. I got better after he left...no treatment...no medication. I just needed to be free of his presence and have people to talk to who believed me. And, as a Christian, I know there are those in the church who are easily led by smooth talkers and charmers like our ex. men. I'm thankful I was surrounded by many who were not. One Elder in our congregation actually sat down to a meal with him. 3 hours of talking and the elder challenged something my husband was saying about me and how I treat our kids. He said as soon as he disagreed and my husband realized he wasn't going to get the man on his side, my husband's whole personality changed right before his eyes. He knew for certain then that my husband was lying and he came to me the next day advising me to go see a lawyer and protect myself. I'm thankful for the wise ones out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. My ex was more subtle in his destruction but just as effective. When we went to marriage counseling, within the first few minutes, the therapist told me I looked physically ill (as though I had a serious medical condition) and advised me to see my doctor. During my first one-on-one session with her, she told me that she wasn't going to counsel me on how to save my marriage; she was going to counsel me on how to get divorced. For years, I had wondered if I was crazy. When she told me that, I had an enormous sense of relief!! It was the first time I thought that maybe I wasn't crazy after all. Maybe all my thoughts and feelings about the abuse (even though I didn't yet fully understand I was being abused) had some merit. A second therapist I saw after my divorce told me I had PTSD because of the events that occurred in my marriage. It has taken years for me to start to heal from what he did and continues to do. That process was slowed because of a second toxic relationship but I'm getting there. The more I learn about NPD/sociopath disorders, the more shocked I am at how many people suffer because of these people. I'm glad there is conversation happening; I just hope those who have never experienced it realize how very real it is because leaving the abuse often does not end it, especially for those of us who have children with our ex-abusers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was Married to my second wife and after 13 years she left me for another man. I found myself running from the hurt thru various relationships. The Lord used one of these vile creatures to show me a little about my self and humble me. I was not there emotionaly for either one of my wives. I didn't realize I had that problem of being emotionaly distant. It was caused by a traumatic child hood. My step father was a scitzophrenic alcholic and terrified our family daily. We all scattered when he drove up as well. Make sure you get your children counseling about the effects of hiding your emotions because they probably did that as a survival tactic around him. Either way since my six year relationship ended with my borderline/narcisistic ex. God allowed me to look within myself and realize what attracted her to me. I had no bounderies that I could recognize as an individual. Because I hid any emotional conflict or happiness deep inside for fear of being rejected. The only way to over come this is to give yourself/ fears to God. Jesus is the only one that can heal our hearts because He is our creator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. in ex I am not reffering to either of my wives. Lol just in case they ever read this.....

    ReplyDelete